This article describes the visa requirements for students interested in booking an English course at a language school in Ireland. All students (except students from EEA countries or Switzerland) must apply for a D Study Visa to study in Ireland for more than 6 months.
There are three categories of visitors:
- Students from countries that need a visa: These students need to apply for a C Visitor visa for courses with a duration of less than 3 months. For courses lasting longer than 6 months, the students will need to apply for a D Study Visa. Learn more »
- Students from countries that do not need visitor visas: These students do NOT need a visa for courses of less than 3 months. For courses lasting longer than 6 months, the students will need to apply for either a student visa. Learn more »
- Students from countries that are exempt from visas (ex: EEA member states, Switzerland): These students do NOT need a visa to study in Ireland.
2. Who needs a visa?
A student must apply for a visa if he/she is a citizen of a country that is NOT a part of the EEA or from Switzerland. Find out if you need a visa to study English in Ireland »
3. Visa types
Visitors who need a visa may stay in Ireland on a Tourist Visa (C Visitor Visa) for no more than 90 days.Student visa
Students must apply for a student visa if they would like to stay in Ireland for more than 3 months. Students who would like to apply for a student visa must study a minimum of 25 weeks, and enroll in a full-time course with no less than 15 hours per week. Students who need a visa to enter Ireland must apply for the visa before travelling.
Students are allowed to work part time during their studies and full-time during the holidays of the school while on a student visa.
Students from visa waiver countries do NOT need to apply for the visa before entering to Ireland. Learn more »
To be eligible for a student visa, the student must meet all these requirements:
- Be enrolled in a course listed on the Internationalisation Register
- Be enrolled in a course with a minimum of 15 hours day-time tuition, between the hours of 8am and 6pm, for a minimum of 25 weeks in a year
- Pursue a course leading to a qualifications recognized by the Ministry for Education
- Enroll in a course focused on education and skills in the English language
- Have housing for at least one week (preferably one month)
IMPORTANT NOTE: As of 1 Oct 2015, students will only be able to study a language program on a Student Visa for up to 8 months.
4. Requirements for visa applications
- Proof of financial means (at least 7000 EUR for one year)
- Proof of accommodation
- Proof of complete tuition payment
- Letter of acceptance from the school
- Proof of previous English studies